Loksatta Party condemns the violent rioters who damaged public properties yesterday
Monday, September 29th, 2014 @ 9:23AM
Loksatta Party condemns the violent protestors who damaged public properties following the verdict to convict Selvi. Jayalaitha yesterday. The party demands strict action against the perpetrators.
In a statement Party’s State president Mr. Palani Kumar said that general public should not be made to suffer in such cases. He also added that:
- Portraits and pictures of the convict Selvi. Jayalaitha should be removed from all the government offices and government projects.
- Police department should have acted proactively in controlling the riots. Going further the police should be prepared for such incidents.
- TASMAC liquor shops should be closed in advance in case of riot indication.
- A strong ‘Lok Ayukta’ should be established in the state to investigate corrupt politicians and bureaucrats.
- Special courts should be established to handle high profile corruption cases and cases which deals with huge amount of corruption amount.
- Political parties should establish a process to facilitate removal of convicts from the parties as in other advanced democracies.
- Arasu Cable stopped the telecast of media news regarding the conviction and judgment. This particularly happened for Puthiya Thalaimurai, Sun News, Kalaignar Seithigal and Thanthi channels. This is clearly an interference in media’s freedom. The party demands that government should exit from Cable TV business.
- There is an unannounced power cut in most part of the state from yesterday’s afternoon. The party demands an explanation from TANGEDCO authorities.
- It is disheartening to see inaction of the police department in controlling the riots. The police department should understand the difference between State and Government, and strictly stick to their primary duty of maintaining Law & Order in the state without succumbing to the pressure from the ruling party.
- Mr. Palani Kumar also added that “It is increasingly becoming a trend that anti-social elements damage public properties for their personal problems. Hefty fines should be collected from such rioters as compensation for the damage. Strict action should be taken by the police irrespective of whether the crime is committed by individuals or in groups”.