Hunger strike demanding Right To Services act in Tamil Nadu
Monday, November 17th, 2014 @ 12:11PM
Loksatta Party organized a Hunger strike protest in Valluvar Kottam in Chennai today demanding Right To Services act in Tamil Nadu.
Loksatta Party has been fighting for the enactment of Right to Services Act which will radically change the delivery of public services to citizens in the state. We have been running from pillar to post for the past several years and organized various meetings, submitted memorandums, gathered public opinion, traveled the length and breadth of the state with no avail.
Prominent citizens of the state Mr.S.M.Arasu of Anti-Corruption Movement , Mr.Siva Elango and Mr. Senthil Arumugam of Satta Panchayat Iyakkam, Mr.Narayanan – Paadam Magazine, Mr.Natraj – Lokpal Federation, Mr. Sensei Mohan, Environmental activist Mr. Mugilan, Angusam movie director Mr. Manukannan, Loksatta Party AP leader and Mrs. Hyma Praveen participated in the hunger strike. National President of Loksatta Party Surendra Srivastava presided the protest.
- Govt services for which there are well defined Citizen Charters must be kept in display for the common public in all Govt offices.
- Govt services for which there is no Citizen Charters must be made mandatory gradually.
- Time frames defined in Citizen Charters must be followed.
- The public services which are to be granted as a right under the legislation are generally notified separately through Gazette Notification.
- To raise grievances in delay in services, appellate authorities should be appointed.
- Grievances raised should be redressed within defined time frames and common public should be given compensation for the service delay.
- Rewards for better performing public officials and authorities.
- Services Delivery to be convergent with Electronic Services Delivery (EDS)
- We demand Right to Services Act which conforms all the above and which is implemented in 16 states should be implemented in Tamil Nadu as well.
Expressing his wishes for the hunger strike Loksatta Party’s founder Dr. JP said “I convey my support and best wishes to Loksatta Party Tamil Nadu state unit for continuing to promote awareness of Service guarantees by taking up a hunger strike tomorrow in Chennai.
I remember the meeting more than a year ago, and glad to see the sustained efforts to enact this important legislation.
We are tax payers, and we are entitled to simple services from government offices without bribers, delay or harassment. That is the purpose of Service guarantees.
In most countries people get water connection, land records, power connection, garbage disposal etc routinely. In India everything is excruciating.
Loksatta Party achieved Citizens Charters in municipalities in Andhra Pradesh 12 years ago. Now a law has been drafted, and we need its enactment in every State.
Once services are delivered without hassle, lives will be better; corruption will come down; politics can be reshaped.”.
Loksatta Tamil Nadu president Mr. Palani Kumar said “This protest shows our commitment for the cause. I would like to remind the efforts of our party leaders Mr. Jagadheeswaran and Mr. Jai Ganesh for the Bike Yatra throughout Tamil Nadu to spread awareness about this act. We will organize protest in districts as well for this act.”
Photos from the event: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.809402672450279.1073741861.150786351645251&type=1