Hunger strike in Karur demanding Right To Services act
Friday, February 13th, 2015 @ 10:12PM
Loksatta Party organized a Hunger strike protest in Karur today demanding Right To Services act in Tamil Nadu.
The Right To Services act ensures time-bound delivery of public services failing which the errant authority will be penalised and the fine amount will be given to the applicant as compensation.
Loksatta Party has been fighting for the enactment of Right to Services Act from August 2013 which will radically change the delivery of public services to citizens in the state. We have been running from pillar to post for the past several years and organized various meetings, submitted memorandums, gathered public opinion through Signature Campaigns, conducted agitations, travelled the length and breadth of the state making a Bike trip for about 7000 kms in 52 days creating awareness about the act.
Activists from various organizations including Vadivelan from AITUC, V.K. Thangavel from Tamil Nadu Farmers association, Vasudevan from Aam Aadmi Party participated in the hunger strike. National President of Loksatta Party Mr. Surendra Srivastava presided over the protest.
Surendra Srivastava expressed that “Loksatta party is committed to bring Right to Service for the people and we will fight it out. The only tool to get rid of retail corruption and retail harassment is Right to Service Act”
- Govt services for which there are well defined Citizen Charters must be kept in display forthe common public in all Govt offices.
- Govt services for which there is no Citizen Charters must be made mandatory gradually.
- Time frames defined in Citizen Charters must be followed.
- The public services which are to be granted as a right under the legislation are generallynotified separately through Gazette Notification.
- To raise grievances in delay in services, appellate authorities should be appointed.
- Grievances raised should be redressed within defined time frames and common public should be given compensation for the service delay.
- Rewards for better performing public officials and authorities.
- Services Delivery to be convergent with Electronic Services Delivery (EDS).
- The compensation for the applicants should be credited directly to their bank account in a time-bound manner.
- We demand Right to Services Act which conforms all the above and which is implemented in 19 states should be implemented in Tamil Nadu as well.
Expressing his wishes for the hunger strike Loksatta Party’s founder Dr. JP said “I convey my support and best wishes to Loksatta Party Tamil Nadu state unit for continuing to promote awareness of Service guarantees by taking up a hunger strike.”
Loksatta Tamil Nadu president Mr. Palani Kumar said “This protest shows our commitment for the cause. I would like to remind the efforts of our party leaders Mr. Jagadheeswaran and Mr. Jai Ganesh for the Bike Yatra throughout Tamil Nadu to spread awareness about this act. We organized hunger strikes in Chennai &Tiruppur and now in Karur. We will organize such protest in other districts as well for this act.”
More photos from the event: